The Sandgate R.S.L. Sub-Branch history dates back to the earliest days of the Leagues formation. The Presidential Honour Board identifies Mr A.E. White as the first President from 1919-1924. A charter for membership of the Returned Sailors, Soldiers and Airman’s League of Australia was issued on 1st June 1945.
The Sandgate R.S.L. Memorial Club Inc. (now trading as Club Sandgate) was built from voluntary labour. This voluntary labour was drawn from members of the R.S.L. Sub-Branch and their friends. Their purpose in developing the club was to establish a venue where not only ex-service men & women could meet but also members of the General Public could join in and enjoy the hospitality and benefits of Club Membership. The Original Club was dedicated by Major General D.R. Kerr, CEB. ED on the 23rd November 1968.
The Club exists today to support the Community and R.S.L. Sub-Branch in providing a meeting place and venue for those with an association with the Services and to provide a Club House for Members and their Guests. The Club continues to be the largest organisation of its kind in the District. There are many calls on the use of the facilities from charitable Groups and the use of the Club’s bus and financial assistance are common requests. The Club’s Management Committee is mindful of responsibilities to support worthwhile groups including the R.S.L., Schools, Junior Sporting Groups, Senior Citizens, Chamber of Commerce, etc. the Local High Schools hold their Graduation Ceremonies in the Function Room of the Club.